National Partnerships & Coalitions
Many Girls Not Brides member organisations have come together to accelerate progress to end child marriage in their countries by forming National Partnerships and coalitions. Below is an overview of what and where these networks are, what they do and how they work with Girls Not Brides.
What they are and how they work
National Partnerships are networks of Girls Not Brides member organisations that believe in the power of collective action to end child marriage and ensure girls achieve their full potential in all aspects of their lives. They have aligned their work with the Girls Not Brides global strategy and signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Girls Not Brides secretariat.
There are Girls Not Brides National Partnerships in 12 locations – at the national and sub-national level – around the world .
Coalitions are networks of Girls Not Brides member organisations that are committed to addressing child marriage but are at a formative stage or do not wish to sign a formal MoU with the Girls Not Brides secretariat.
Our unity is our greatest strength. With a spirit of teamwork, partnership and solidarity – even with limited funds – we are able to carry out activities and have an impact. We have been able to raise our voices and create more change across borders.Member of Girls Not Brides Mozambique
We work with National Partnerships and coalitions in the following countries
Latin America and Caribbean
Accelerating progress to end child marriage
National Partnerships and coalitions combine efforts, expertise and evidence in their work to end child marriage. Together, they:
- Work to hold governments to account to develop, implement and monitor national strategies to address child marriage.
- Raise public awareness of the harmful impacts of child marriage.
- Share information and learnings on the solutions to address child marriage and ensure girls achieve their full potential in all aspects of their lives.
- Coordinate and support efforts to engage communities, families and girls in ending child marriage.
Support from Girls Not Brides
Girls Not Brides supports its National Partnerships and coalitions by:
- Connecting them with individuals and organisations from different areas of expertise, including law, social norms change, and girls’ and women’s rights.
- Connecting them with donors and funding opportunities.
- Facilitating mutual exchanges and learning with and between member organisations, developing shared perspectives on child marriage and related issues.
- Convening as a network to effectively advocate together to address child marriage.
- Sharing the successes of collective action.
- Promoting the profile and visibility of our member organisations.
Our Partnering for success toolkit includes information on how to form and manage a coalition.
Resources on partnership building and collective action
Partnering for success: a step-by-step guide to addressing your most common partnership challenges
A step-by-step guide to addressing your most common partnership challenges.
Lessons learned from Girls Not Brides' National Partnership workshop
This report summarises the discussions and lessons learned from the 2016 Girls Not Brides workshop for National Partnerships.