The Child Marriage Research to Action Network (the CRANK) held its second quarterly meeting to discuss “Investing in and building the capacity of systems to address child marriage" on Tuesday, 22 June at 9am EDT/2pm BST. It was held in English with simultaneous translation in French and Spanish.
Education, health, gender-based violence/child protection and social protection systems are key pillars in preventing child marriage and mitigating its consequences for girls, young people and their families.
The presentations focused on how improving service quality can impact girls' safety, health and learning, and build opportunities for them, contributing to delays in age at marriage.
The speakers were:
- Silinganisiwe Dzumbunu, University of Cape Town and William Rudgard, University of Oxford – “Impacts of the Ethiopian Health Extension Programme (HEP) on eleven areas of adolescent health and wellbeing"
- Dr. Andrea J. Melnikas, Program Manager & Associate Investigator, Population Council – More than Brides Alliance End Line Report
- Professor Pauline Rose, REAL Centre, Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge – School to Work Transition for Adolescent Girls Full Report
The discussion focused on:
- How services can be made more age- and gender-responsive
- The importance of sectoral investments in strategies that have direct and/or indirect impacts on delaying age of marriage
- How sectoral systems and relevant institutions can be held accountable for effectively responding to adolescent girls’ needs and rights throughout their lives
- Session recording (English)
- Enregistrement de la séance (Français)
- Grabación de la sesión (Español)
- Presentation: Ethiopian Health Extension Programme (English) (PPTX, 1.0MB)
- Presentation: School to Work transition for adolescent girls (English) (PPTX, 1.7MB)
- Presentation: More than Brides Alliance (English) (PPTX, 4.0MB)
- CRANK research meeting agenda 22 June (English) (PDF, 222.2kB)
- CRANK ordre du jour séance de recherche 22 juin (Français) (PDF, 306.5kB)
- CRANK agenda reunión de investigación 22 junio (Español) (PDF, 293.6kB)
Recording, presentations and agenda / Enregistrement, présentations et ordre du jour / Grabación, presentaciones y agenda
- Systems to address child marriage meeting notes (English) (PDF, 268.0kB)
- Systèmes à faire face au mariage des enfants - Notes synthétiques (Français) (PDF, 340.4kB)
- Sistemas para el abordaje de los MUITF - Puntos clave (Español) (PDF, 310.1kB)
- More Than Brides Alliance: Endline evaluation report (English)
- More Than Brides Alliance: Rapport d'évaluation finale (Français)
- Exploring the school to work transition for adolescent girls - Summary (English)
- Exploring the school to work transition for adolescent girls - Full Report (English)
- Impacts of the Ethiopian Health Extension Programme on 11 areas of adolescent health and wellbeing (English)