The Child Marriage Research to Action Network (the CRANK) held its third quarterly research meeting to discuss “Child marriage in humanitarian settings: Findings from girl-centred and girl-led research”. The meeting was held in English, with simultaneous translation in French and Spanish.
Wednesday 15 September 2021
09:00 New York/14:00 London
The drivers of child marriage are often exacerbated in humanitarian settings. Girls who marry in these settings face lower educational outcomes, physical and sexual violence, poor mental and physical health outcomes, a limited social support network and fewer livelihood opportunities.
While evidence and research on the prevalence, drivers, and consequences of child marriage in humanitarian settings has gained momentum in recent years, we still need more evidence on how to design and deliver interventions that respond to the needs and rights of adolescent girls in adverse circumstances.
The CRANK’s third research meeting was a space to:
- Present new findings from girl-centred and girl-led research on child marriage in humanitarian settings.
- Discuss learnings and insights on how to develop girl-centred, evidence-based programming to strengthen child marriage prevention and response in humanitarian settings.
- Share new research updates from researchers and practitioners working on child marriage.
The moderator and speakers were:
- Ghida Anani, Founder and Director – ABAAD-Resource Centre for Gender Equality, Lebanon.
- Julie Freccero, UC Berkeley’s Human Rights Center, and Clare Bangirana, Africhild, Uganda – “Child marriage in humanitarian crises: Girls and parents speak out on risk and protective factors, decision-making, and solutions”, Human Rights Centre UC Berkley School of Law, Save the Children, Plan International and the King Hussein Foundation Information and Research Centre.
- Katherine Gambir, Women’s Refugee Commission, and Dr. Abel Blessings Matsika, research consultant, Zimbabwe – “The power of a story: Girl-led child marriage action research in two humanitarian settings”, Women’s Refugee Commission and Plan International (forthcoming).
- Session recording (English)
- Enregistrement de la séance (Français)
- Child Marriage in Humanitarian Crises: Girls and Parents Speak Out (PPTX, 4.0MB)
- The Power of a Story: Girl-led Child Marriage Action Research (PPTX, 16.2MB)
- CRANK research meeting agenda 15 September (English) (DOCX, 101.7kB)
- CRANK ordre du jour séance de recherche 15 septembre (Français) (DOCX, 124.4kB)
- CRANK agenda reunión de investigación 15 septiembre (Español) (DOCX, 124.2kB)
Recording, presentations and agenda / Enregistrement, présentations et ordre du jour / Grabación, presentaciones y agenda
- Child marriage in humanitarian settings meeting notes (English) (PDF, 271.2kB)
- Los MUITF en contextos humanitarios - Puntos clave de la sesión (Español) (PDF, 276.9kB)
- Le mariage des enfants dans les situations de crise humanitaire - Les points clés (Français) (PDF, 279.3kB)
- Child marriage in humanitarian crises report (English)