Over the last six months, Power to Girls has collected commitments from activists, civil society and decision-makers around the world, showcasing promises to take action now to end child marriage.
In this virtual event, we celebrated the successes we’ve made as a partnership and explored the next steps for the campaign at the regional and national level. It was also an opportunity to explore the Power to Girls commitments represented on our ‘Wall of Ribbons’, demonstrating the power and collaboration of our movement and dedication to ending child marriage.
The event was moderated by Dr. Faith Mwangi-Powell, CEO of Girls Not Brides. The speakers were:
- Laura Bas, Netherlands Youth Ambassador for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, Gender Equality and Bodily Autonomy
- Godfrey Okumu, Tostan, Senegal
- Dip. Johanna Ortiz, Member of Parliament, Ecuador
- Qamar Naseem, Blue Veins, Pakistan
We also heard from:
- Lubna Maktari, Girls Not Brides UK National Partnership
- Womba Wanki, Girls Not Brides Zambia National Partnership
- Natalie Robi Tingo, Girls Not Brides Kenya National Partnership
- Gabriela Muñoz, Jóvenas Latidas, Guatemala
The event took place on Tuesday 5 April at 7am Mexico / 1pm London / 3pm Nairobi / 5.30pm Delhi, and there was interpretation available in English, French, Spanish and Hindi
It’s not too late to make your own Power to Girls commitment – join the campaign here !