#MyLifeAt15: Tell African leaders to end child marriage NOW!
15 million girls a year are married as children, deprived of the opportunity to fulfil their dreams and ambitions. NOW is the time to act!
African leaders have made some bold commitments to end child marriage. The African Union has launched a regional campaign, several countries have adopted national strategies, and African governments supported the Global Goals target to end child marriage by 2030. Now they need to turn their promises into action.
That’s why Girls Not Brides is bringing #MyLifeAt15, the global campaign asking governments to fulfil their promise to end child marriage, to the African Girls’ Summit on Ending Child Marriage next week.
#MyLifeAt15 will highlight the voices of young people and civil society, share success stories, and encourage African leaders to join the campaign to end child marriage.
The African Girls’ Summit
On 26-27 November, the African Union and the Government of Zambia are holding the first African Girls’ Summit on Ending Child Marriage. A year after the Girl Summit in London, it will bring together high-level personalities from AU Member States, African First Ladies, UN agencies women and girls, and civil society organisations to:
- Share experiences and best practices, especially from countries that have launched the African Union Campaign
- Secure and/or renew commitments to end child marriage, in particular from governments
- Provide a space for community leaders, girls and youth to discuss the successes and challenges of addressing child marriage
- Using our sign, share your #MyLifeAt15 photo and tell African leaders why ending child marriage matters to you. Tag your post with #MyLifeAt15 and #AGS2015.
- Download our social media toolkit for messages, infographics and more!
- Follow the conversation online. Girls Not Brides will live-tweet discussions at the Summit. Follow us on Twitter (@GirlsNotBrides), Instagram (@GirlsNotBrides_org) and Facebook (Facebook.com/GirlsNotBrides).
- Several youth advocates will report live from the Summit too. Follow their updates on Twitter: @PetriderPaul @IsatouJeng @sammykua @addovera.