Photo credit: Stephan Gladieu | World Bank
Child marriage rates
UNICEF 2017 % Married by 15
UNICEF 2017 % Married by 18
* Child marriage prevalence is the percentage of women 20-24 years old who were married or in union before they were 18 years old (UNICEF State of the World’s Children, 2017)
Togo has a child marriage prevalence rate of 22%. On average, one out of four girls will be married before their 18th birthday.
Child marriage in Togo occurs more frequently among girls who are the least educated, poorest and living in rural areas.
Education also is associated with the prevalence of child marriage in Togo. 44% of women aged 20-24 with no education and 29% with primary education were married or in union at age 18, compared to only 8% of women with secondary education or higher.
Legal age of marriage
The minimum age of marriage is 18 for girls and 20 for boys but both can marry under 18 or 20 with parental consent.
National programme to end child marriage
The Togolese ministries of Education, Gender and Health have taken the lead in developing a National Programme Against Child Marriage and Teenage Pregnancy.
The programme is part of two main development plans: an economic development plan and the “Vision 2030” plan: the “Vision 2030” is a national development programme towards the year 2030 which has been launched in April 2014.
The programme focuses on the prevention of teenage pregnancy and child marriage as well as providing social protection to girls who were married as children.
It is a multisectoral approach centred around 5 points:
- Improving the legal framework;
- Access and keeping adolescent girls in the education system and access to comprehensive sex education;
- Access to adolescent-friendly information and sexual and reproductive health services;
- Encouraging adolescent girls’ leadership and strengthening the capacity of families, communities, traditional and religious leaders;
- Coordination, advocacy, resource mobilisation and monitoring and evaluation.
Members In Togo
- Action Chrétienne pour le Développement Intégral de l’Enfance et de la Jeune Fille (ACDIEF)
- Agence Régionale pour l’Elimination de Toutes les Formes de Discrimination à l’Egard des Enfants (AREDEE)
- Association Creuset des Jeunes pour le Développement et l’Epanouissement Intégral des Population (ACJDEIP)
- Association des Amis des Enfants (AAE)
- Association des Volontaires pour la promotion des Jeunes Démunis (AVOPROJED)
- Carrefour de Développement
- Future Foundation
- ONG Dimension Humaine
- Programme d’Appui à la Femme et à l’Enfance Déshéritée (PAFED)
- Réseau de Lutte contre la Traite des enfants au Togo (RELUTET)
- Réseau des organisations de lutte contre la maltraitance, les abus et exploitation sexuelle des enfants (Romaese)
- UNFPA, Togo country profile, 2012
- UNICEF, State of the World’s Children, 2016