Child marriage rates
UNICEF 2017 % Married by 15
UNICEF 2017 % Married by 18
* Child marriage prevalence is the percentage of women 20-24 years old who were married or in union before they were 18 years old (UNICEF State of the World’s Children, 2017)
7% of girls in Rwanda are married before their 18th birthday.
Over the last decade, Rwanda has witnessed a strong decline in child marriage rates, bringing the prevalence below 10%.
Minimum age of marriage
The minimum age of marriage is 21 years.
Members In Rwanda
- Collectif des Ligues et Associations de Défense des Droits de l’Homme au Rwanda (CLADHO)
- Link Community Development (LCD)
- Réseau Associatif pour la Psychologie Intégrale (RAPI)
- Rwanda Institute for Conflict Transformation and Peace Building (ICP Rwanda)
- Union de Solidarité d’Aide au Développement Communautaire (USADEC)
- VSO International
- UNICEF, State of the World’s Children, 2017.
- Pew Research Center, Marriage laws around the world, September 2016.
- US Department of State, Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2015.