Photo credit: European Commission DG Echo
Child marriage rates
UNICEF 2017 % Married by 15
UNICEF 2017 % Married by 18
* Child marriage prevalence is the percentage of women 20-24 years old who were married or in union before they were 18 years old.
* According to UNICEF’s State of the World’s Children 2017.
34% of girls in Mauritania are married before their 18th birthday, while 14% are married before their 15th birthday.
Minimum age of marriage
The personal status code sets the minimum age of marriage at 18 years. However, since consensual sex outside of marriage is illegal, a legal guardian can ask local authorities to permit a girl younger than 18 to marry.
- UNICEF, State of the World’s Children, 2016.
- Pew Research Center, Marriage laws around the world, September 2016.
- US Department of State, Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2015.