Photo credit: United Nations | Martine Perret
Child marriage rates
UNICEF 2017 % Married by 15
UNICEF 2017 % Married by 18
* Child marriage prevalence is the percentage of women 20-24 years old who were married or in union before they were 18 years old (UNICEF State of the World’s Children, 2017)
36% of girls in Liberia are married before the age of 18 .
Legal age of marriage
The legal age of marriage in Liberia is 18 years for boys and girls.
In 2011, Liberia adopted the Children’s Act, thus removing any parental exception that allowed a child above the age of 16 to marry.
National initiatives to end child marriage
In December 2016, Liberia became the 18th country to have launched the African Union campaign to end child marriage in Africa.
Members In Liberia
- Aiding Abused Women and Girls Association (ADWANGA)
- Basket of Hope Liberia
- ChildHelp Inc.
- Community Empowerment and Sustainable Program (CESP)
- Conscience International (CI)
- Organization for Women Empowerment (OWE)
- Right to End Child Marriage
- Women and Children Development Association of Liberia (WOCDAL)
- Women-Concern Liberia (WCL)
- Youth in Technology and Arts Network (YOTAN)
 UNICEF, State of the World’s Children, 2016.