Photo credit: IPPF | WHR
Child marriage rates
UNICEF 2016 % Married by 15
UNICEF 2016 % Married by 18
* Child marriage prevalence is the percentage of women 20-24 years old who were married or in union before they were 18 years old.
* According to UNICEF’s State of the World’s Children 2016.
22% of girls in Bolivia are married before their 18th birthday, while 3% are married before their 15th birthday.
Minimum age of marriage
The minimum age of marriage is 14 for girls and 16 for boys. A parent or a guardian must approve marriages between adolescents under 18.
- UNICEF, State of the World’s Children, 2016.
- Pew Research Center, Marriage laws around the world, September 2016.
- US Department of State, Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2015.