Photo credit: Jon Spall | IPPF
Child marriage rates
UNICEF 2016 % Married by 15
UNICEF 2016 % Married by 18
* Child marriage prevalence is the percentage of women 20-24 years old who were married or in union before they were 18 years old.
* According to UNICEF’s State of the World’s Children 2016.
23% of girls in Colombia are married before their 18th birthday.
Minimum age of marriage
Marriage is legal at age 18. However, boys over the age of 14 and girls over the age of 12 may marry with the consent of their parents.
- UNICEF, State of the World’s Children, 2016.
- Pew Research Center, Marriage laws around the world, September 2016.
- US Department of State, Country Reports on Human Rights Practices for 2015.