Photo credit: Jessica Lea | DFID
Child marriage rates
UNICEF 2016 % Married by 15
UNICEF 2016 % Married by 18
* Child marriage prevalence is the percentage of women 20-24 years old who were married or in union before they were 18 years old.
* According to UNICEF’s State of the World’s Children 2016.
Burkina Faso has a child marriage prevalence rate of 52%. On average, almost one out of two girls in Burkina will be married before the age of 18.
The rates of child marriage vary from one region to another, and are as high as 86% in the Sahel region and 76% in the East region.
Child marriage in Burkina Faso is linked to poverty, tradition and lack of education.
UNFPA found that 60% of women aged 20-24 with no education and 42% with primary education were married or in union at age 18, compared to only 3% of women with secondary education or higher. The less educated a girl is, the more at risk of child marriage she is.
Initiatives to end child marriage
In March 2015, the African Union Campaign to End Child Marriage was launched in Dori, the capital of the Sahel region where child marriage rates are the highest.
Burkina Faso finalised a National Strategy to End Child Marriage in Burkina Faso (2016-2025) in November 2015 in order to work towards the prevention and elimination of child marriage by 2025. The strategy was developed with many stakeholders including UN agencies, religious and traditional leaders, the national coalition to end child marriage (Coalition Nationale de lutte Contre le Mariage Précoce), and citizens from communities across the country.
The strategy has four objectives:
- Prevent all forms of child marriage
- Support victims of child marriage
- Strengthen national efforts to end the practice
- Coordinate, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the strategy
A Triennial Action Plan 20166-2018 outlines how the strategy will be rolled out, while a multi-sectoral platform launched in June 2016 acts as a coordinating and piloting body. The platform lays out the roles and responsibilities in implementing the strategy of 13 line ministries, and will be responsible for monitoring progress made.
UNICEF-UNFPA Global Programme to Accelerate Action to End Child Marriage
Burkina Faso is a focus country of the UNICEF-UNFPA Global Programme to Accelerate Action to End Child Marriage, a multi-donor, mutli-stakeholder programme working across 12 countries over four years.
Members In Burkina Faso
- Action Féminine pour le Développement Participatif (AFDP)
- Association d’Appui et d’Eveil PUGSADA
- Association Dembagnouma des Femmes de Tougan
- Association des Jeunes pour le Bien-être Familial de Bogoya (AJBFB)
- Association pour le Développement SONGTAABA
- Association Zak-La-Yilguemdé
- Fondation pour le Développement Communautaire
- Fondation Rama d’aide aux femmes victimes de fistule obstétricale / prolapsus
- SAIDA International
- The Hunger Project
- Voix de Femmes
- UNICEF, State of the World’s Children, 2016
- UNFPA, Ethiopia: Child marriage country profile, 2012